From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] MySQL 4.1 upgrade questions
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 17:46:41
1 > > Hello, I'm upgrading my server from mysql 4.0 to 4.1 by following the
2 > > instructions here:
3 > >
4 > > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/mysql-upgrading.xml
5 > >
6 > > I noticed this piece of instruction:
7 > >
8 > > emerge --config =mysql-4.1.<micro_version>
9 > >
10 > > What does that do? From what I remember, I need to password the
11 > > grant table and create a new table for my data with the proper name,
12 > > username, and password. Does that sounds right? Does the emerge
13 > > --config command take you through any of that or do I need to figure
14 > > out (remember) how to do it manually?
15 >
16 > In it's older (and deprecated) form was "ebuild path/name.ebuild
17 > config" .
18 >
19 > Basically it run the pkg_config() function inside the ebuild itself.
20 >
21 > Specifically MySQL pkg_config() actions are the following:
22 > - check that no mysql server are running on the box or die
23 > - check that datadir (/var/lib/mysql) is empty or die
24 > - ask for a password
25 > - install the databases (mysql & test)
26 > - fill the help tables for command line client
27 > - fill the timezone tables
28 > - set the _mysql_ root password
29
30 Nice, I was using the database named mysql for my data so that fits
31 like a glove with the other software that accesses mysql. The grant
32 tables are in the mysql database, so passwording that database secures
33 my data and the grant tables right? Is it OK to leave the "test"
34 database as is?
35
36 - Grant
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list