From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] A little help for non-native English speakers
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2018 07:52:39
1 On 02/02/2018 09:47, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > On Fri, Feb 02, 2018 at 09:34:06AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >
4 >>> PS.: As a non-native, I always found e.g. and i.e. easy to keep apart
5 >>> because when you say "e.g." as a word without the dots, it becomes "eg",
6 >>> which, phonetically, is the start of the word "example".
7 >>>
8 >>
9 >> As a native English speaker I can never remember the precedence rules
10 >> about its and it's...
11 >
12 > That is quite easy: the ’ *always* means something has been left out. "It’s"
13 > it its unrolled form means It is. Once you start reading it aloud as such,
14 > you will quickly get the hang of it. Try it, it is such fun.
15
16 I did say I can't remember the rules, not that I don't understand them :-)
17
18 I do remember there, their and they're though, that one gives many folks
19 trouble. Of late I've decided that human languages are fuzzy, redundant
20 and meaning can usually be determined from context. Not 100%, but
21 usually close.
22
23 And now I don't care any more. Except "revert". That one still grates
24 me; it is not "reply"
27 >> I vote we dump English in it's entirety and all switch to Python
28 >
29 > How do you pronounce indentation?
30
31 Like so: "tab tab space"