From: Kfir Lavi <lavi.kfir@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] best cflags and cpu for gentoo qemu virtual machine
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 16:27:10
1 On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 7:19 PM, Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>wrote:
2
3 > On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 10:54, Kfir Lavi <lavi.kfir@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Hi,
6 >> I'm creating a router based on Gentoo, that needs to run as a vm using
7 >> qemu.
8 >> The mother machine will be Core I7 4 cores.
9 >> What cpu and CFLAGS should I use to get the best performance out of this
10 >> vm?
13 > If you intend to run this VM on different hardware or distribute it in any
14 > way (so you don't really know on what hardware it will run) your best bet is
15 > to set a generic arch like i686 or lower, OR hope the VM is run on software
16 > based emulation (slow) so you don't have to worry about what CPU is running
17 > it.
18 >
19 > From my experience with qemu, you'll have a lot of requirements too, like
20 > bridging and kernel module for virtual interfaces (tun/tap).
21 >
22 > Now, if this will run on your machine, with kqemu, you'll set march on your
23 > guest as your host is...
24 >
25 > --
26 > Daniel da Veiga
29 I'll build each router for its box. I don't want to use i686 as I'll run
30 also on Atom, and this comp is really really slow with kvm support.
31
32 Kfir