From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Quoting style on HTC Dream
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 08:37:31
1 On Friday 13 November 2009 10:15:43 Albert Hopkins wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2009-11-13 at 01:25 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > My new! improved! shiny! Android phone has a Gmail app. It's nice to use
4 > > but it's quoting style is horrible and looks thusly:
5 >
6 > Isn't Android "supposed" to be Open Source?
7
8 The kernel is Linux so it's OSS and so are most of the APIs. License is GPL.
9 The user-space apps are not necessarily GPL though (just like on the desktop)
10 and I haven't seen the code for the GMail app
13 > What's to stop you from
14 > fixing the code yourself and recompiling,
15
16 Apart from "I really can't be bothered so I'll download something else"
17 nothing stops me :-)
18
19 > or does that somehow
20 > "invalidate" your phone?
21
22 It's not an iPhone and Apple's psychosis doesn't enter the picture, I can
23 install any user-space app I feel like. The warranty is already invalid
24 though, for a different reason - I flashed it with an OS and firmware that's
25 far superior to the one my carrier thinks I should have :-)
26
27 > Also could they have picked a less masculine-sounding name (perhaps the
28 > HTC Twilight)?
29
30 The OS versions are cupcake, donut and eclair. Faced with that, HTC's names
31 for the hardware seem somewhat irrelevant <hehehe>
34 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com