From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Use and removal of binary packages
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 17:28:59
1 On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 09:40:47 -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
2
3 > I may have a need to install one or more binary packages to fix
4 > a problem I'm having. These are ones that have been made for
5 > my system during normal emerges, but have since been pruned from
6 > the system.
7 >
8 > My question: how to clean up when I'm done? A cursory look at
9 > the packages makes me think they're plain tar archives with no
10 > metadata. How do I get rid of them when I'm done with them?
11
12 There is metadata appended to the end of the file. If you try unpacking
13 one, you'll see a warning about extraneous data, this is the metadata.
14
15 > Or must I install them using some tool that creates the metadata?
16
17 What's wrong with installing with portage? Provided the packages are in
18 $PKGDIR, you can install with "emerge --usepkgonly packagename". You can
19 then unmerge in the usual way.
20
21 If the package is one that prevents you from using portage, unpack it to
22 the root of your filesystem, then immediately use the above command to
23 emerge it properly.
27 Neil Bothwick
28
29 Failure is not an option...it is integrated with every Microsoft product.