From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Use and removal of binary packages
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 20:22:36
1 On 6/13/06, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 09:40:47 -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
4 >
5 > > I may have a need to install one or more binary packages to fix
6 > > a problem I'm having. These are ones that have been made for
7 > > my system during normal emerges, but have since been pruned from
8 > > the system.
9 > >
10 > > My question: how to clean up when I'm done? A cursory look at
11 > > the packages makes me think they're plain tar archives with no
12 > > metadata. How do I get rid of them when I'm done with them?
13 >
14 > There is metadata appended to the end of the file. If you try unpacking
15 > one, you'll see a warning about extraneous data, this is the metadata.
16 >
17 > > Or must I install them using some tool that creates the metadata?
18 >
19 > What's wrong with installing with portage? Provided the packages are in
20 > $PKGDIR, you can install with "emerge --usepkgonly packagename". You can
21 > then unmerge in the usual way.
22 >
23 > If the package is one that prevents you from using portage, unpack it to
24 > the root of your filesystem, then immediately use the above command to
25 > emerge it properly.
28 > --
29 > Neil Bothwick
30 >
31 > Failure is not an option...it is integrated with every Microsoft product.
34 Another killer .signature. Is it optimistic?
35
36 Anyway, thanks. This will do very nicely for me because I'll be using
37 packages
38 created by portage. However, I'm not sure I got what you're talking about
39 in that
40 last paragraph. Unpacking to the root would pollute everything, no? Then
41 how
42 do I get a clean unmerge. Just for curiosity -- as I said, I don't think I
43 need it for this.
44
45 ++ kevin
51 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD