From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Use and removal of binary packages
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 21:07:57
1 On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 13:08:56 -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
2
3 > However, I'm not sure I got what you're talking about
4 > in that
5 > last paragraph. Unpacking to the root would pollute everything, no?
6 > Then how
7 > do I get a clean unmerge. Just for curiosity -- as I said, I don't
8 > think I need it for this.
9
10 If you break your system to the extent that you cannot emerge anything,
11 such as accidentally unmerging Python, the way to get your system back is
12 to unpack the package. This copies the same files that an emerge would,
13 but skips the preinst/postinst stages of the merge and leaves the portage
14 database thinking the package isn't installed. So after unpacking the
15 archive and getting things working again, you should emerge the package
16 normally to keep portage straight.
20 Neil Bothwick
21
22 And all the Borg left was this copy of Windows...