From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Yahoo and strange traffic.
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 09:59:06
1 Joshua Murphy wrote:
2 > Well, glancing at the GET request it's making there, as well as the
3 > API google points me to when I look it up...
4 >
5 > http://developer.yahoo.com/messenger/guide/ch03s02.html#d4e4628
6 >
7 > You're right that it's after an image from their profile, but the
8 > cause of the failure appears to be related to some sort of credentials
9 > Yahoo wants the messenger to provide. You might poke Kopete's
10 > bugtracker to see if they've a related bug on file already, and if
11 > they don't, throw one their way.
12 >
13 > The API Yahoo appears to be using there (based on a response I got
14 > back in poking lightly) is, or is based on, OAuth, which according to
15 > this:
16 >
17 > http://oauth.net/core/1.0/#http_codes
18 >
19 > specifies that a request should give a 401 response (Authorization
20 > Required vs Unauthorized is purely the choice of phrase used in the
21 > program decoding the numerical code, i.e. wireshark in your example of
22 > it there) in the following cases:
23 >
24 > HTTP 401 Unauthorized
25 > * Invalid Consumer Key
26 > * Invalid / expired Token
27 > * Invalid signature
28 > * Invalid / used nonce
29 >
30 > Yahoo, essentially, *does* give a "bugger off"!! with that response,
31 > but Kopete simply takes it, considers it a brief instant, then decides
32 > "Maybe the answer will change if I try again *now*!"... at which point
33 > it proceeds to introduce its proverbial cranium to the proverbial
34 > brick and mortar vertical surface one might term "the wall."
35 > Repeatedly.
39 I was sort of figuring that it was trying to get something and Yahoo
40 wasn't liking it. At least now we know for sure.
41
42 I went to bug.kde and searched but I didn't see anything. Of course,
43 I'm not really sure what the heck to look for since I don't know what is
44 failing, other than Kopete.
45
46 Thanks.
47