From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fail2Ban vs SSHGuard? Comparison? What's the difference?
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2017 19:37:00
1 On 16/09/2017 16:06, Stroller wrote:
2 > Is anyone familiar enough with this subject to make a comparison between these two programs, please?
3 >
4 > If I google Fail2Ban vs SSHGuard I get many hits saying "I use this one", but no-one saying why one might be better than the other.
5 >
6 > So far I'm favouring SSHGuard, but mostly because the website looks prettier.
7 >
8 > I want to be able to use passwords, so allowing logons only by public-key is no good (also would be nice to block failed IMAP connection attempts).
9 >
10 > Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
11 >
12 > Stroller.
16 Depends what you want, they both achieve the same end. fail2ban reads
17 all manner of log files and such, decides based on rules if someone is
18 being naughty, and then takes actually (most often listing the source
19 address in a packet filter drop rule).
20
21 As far as I'm aware (and could be wrong), sshguard is mostly just sshd
22 whereas fail2ban works on anything you can give it consistent logs for.
23 There's not much to choose between them really.
24
25 So go for the one that seems to fit your needs best, if you scan the man
26 pages and sample rules files and one jumps out as a clear winner than
27 you understand easily, then that is the one you use.
28
29 The question is almost never "does this things do what I want?" as the
30 answer is so often yes. The question is always "d I understand this
31 thing as can drive it easily?"
34 Alan McKinnon
35 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com