From: Jarry <jarry@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] problem with raid1: error while booting
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 04:23:19
1 A. Khattri wrote:
2
3 > Some motherboards claim to have RAID built-in but really it is software
4 > RAID in the BIOS.
5
6 OK, now I understand. I call it "pseudo-hw-raid". It still depends on
7 software driver and cpu.
8
9 > Linux's software RAID is usually better though.
10
11 I agree. And that is what I'm trying to use, linux software-raid built
12 in kernel...
13
14 > Firstly, is RAID support built-in to your kernel? Also did you set the
15 > partition types to "Linux raid autodetect" when running fdisk?
16
17 Yes, of course. All partitions are marked as "auto-detect" (fd), and
18 raid support is in my kernel (not as module). As I wrote previously,
19 all md's are autodetected without any problem:
20
21 --------------------------------------------------------
22 md: Autodetecting RAID arrays.
23 md: autorun...
24 ...
25 md: adding hdg1
26 md: adding hde1
27 md: created md0
28 md: bind<hde1>
29 md: bind<hdg1>
30 md: running: <hde1> <hdg1>
31 raid1: raid set md0 active running 2 out of 2 mirrors
32 md: ... autorun DONE
33 <similar for all md's>
34 ---------------------------------------------------------
37 Richard Fish wrote:
38
39 > Just an FYI, the md driver does not create sysfs entries and thus udev
40 > does not create device nodes if autodetection is not performed by the
41 > driver. Autodetection is not performed if either:
42 >
43 > 1. The md driver is a module (not a problem according to your original
44 > email)
45 > 2. You are using an initramfs (vs an initrd) to bring up the system
46 > 3. or if you do not have the right partition types defined.
47
48 I think I can unselect options 1. and 3. (md-support is in kernel, and
49 partitions are marked as type "fd - Linux raid autodetect").
50
51 Concerning 2, I'm not sure if I understand correctly:
52 Do you mean turning off initramfs support in kernel-configuration?
53
54 Jarry
55 --
56 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list