From: "A. Khattri" <ajai@××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] problem with raid1: error while booting
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 20:43:16
1 On Tue, 12 Jul 2005, Jarry wrote:
2
3 > Pardon for my ignorance, but what do you mean with "Linux raid-1 rather
4 > than the software raid"??? Is it not the same? Or do you mean some
5 > hw-raid?
6
7 Some motherboards claim to have RAID built-in but really it is software
8 RAID in the BIOS. Linux's software RAID is usually better though. I think
9 this is what was implied.
10
11 > BTW, I'm already on the track of my problem:
12 > After booting (actually not booting) I entered into that "maintenance
13 > mode" and found out, that there are no /dev/md? files (although I
14 > created them during installation)! Why??? Should not udev create them
15 > automatically? Or did I misconfigured something concerning udev/devfs
16 > in kernel?
17
18 Firstly, is RAID support built-in to your kernel? Also did you set the
19 partition types to "Linux raid autodetect" when running fdisk?
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list