From: Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dual OS clock issues
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2015 22:30:08
1 On Friday, June 05, 2015 12:04:41 PM Poison BL. wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 4:28 AM, Fernando Rodriguez <
3 > frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > > On Thursday, June 04, 2015 12:06:51 PM Derek Ellison wrote:
6 > > > I have two HDD in a UEFI system. Windows 8 on one and Gentoo on the
7 > > other.
8 > > > Currently I have to update the clock everytime I boot to the other OS
9 and
10 > > > I'm wondering if there is a way I can avoid this? It's just starting to
11 > > get
12 > > > to be a pain to have to update it everytime.
13 > > >
14 > > > Any information would be most welcome.
15 > > >
16 > > > Thanks!
17 > >
18 > > Set Windows to use utc. See
19 > > https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Time#UTC_in_Windows
20 > >
21 > > --
22 > > Fernando Rodriguez
25 > Given the fact that the builtin network time sync windows does ignores that
26 > feature altogether, it's generally a lot more sensible to configure the OS
27 > that actually cooperates rather than the one that only listens to settings
28 > when it suits it.
29
30 The main problem is that Windows will change the local time twice a year on
31 DST zones, aside from NTP how can Linux tell if the time is adjusted? So if
32 you boot while offline you may end up with the wrong time or you may have the
33 time adjusted back and forth everytime you boot the other OS so any files
34 touched during early boot end up with wrong times. Also on Windows that's the
35 only setting, on Linux you also have you desktop environment settings to worry
36 about so the simplest way to get it to work all year long is to set Windows to
37 use UTC and disable time sync in Windows as shown in the link. Unless your
38 system clock drifts badly the lack of time sync in Windows is not a problem
39 for most users, the rest can use an NTP service on Windows too.
42 Fernando Rodriguez