From: Mike Owen <kyphros@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Find IP of proxy
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 22:40:12
1 On 4/5/06, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi All,
3 >
4 > At work there's a rather restrictive gateway in place for connecting
5 > LAN desktops to the Internet. How would you go about finding its IP
6 > address?
7 >
8 > Assume that I am booting with Knoppix for this purpose.
9 > --
10 > Regards,
11 > Mick
14 I'm curious as to why you need the proxy info in the first place. It
15 sounds like you can connect out just fine, so why bother with
16 configuring a proxy?
17
18 If you are allowed to send icmp and udp traffic out of the network, a
19 traceroute should show you what hops are on your network. If routing
20 forces all traffic through this proxy, it'll probably be one of these
21 hops.
22
23 Or, they could be doing policy routing where only tcp port 80/443
24 traffic goes through the proxy, and all other traffic goes out some
25 other route. In that case, you'll need to use a tcp traceroute program
26 configured to probe on port 80, so it is forced through the proxy.
27
28 Anyways, it sounds like that company has a few issues with their
29 security policy if it's so easily circumvented.
30
31 Mike
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list