From: "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ethics of vmware use
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 18:25:18
1 > I'd just go ahead and buy Workstation except for the ~$200.-- price tag.
2 > But somehow it seems more like a $50.00 item for what I'm doing
3 > with it. I just feel a bit cheap using and ditching a trial version, since
4 > I'm definitely getting a benefit from it I could not have gotten otherwise
5 > (unless I could prevail on someone else to build the VM for me).
6 >
7 > On that point, what are the ethics of building VMs for others?
8 > What does VMware say about this?
9
10 What you're doing is absolutely legit. You did download the trial
11 version, you don't need it more. You created a VM? Fine. You can use it
12 as much as you like it, I guess.
13
14 I know there is people distributing VM of free operating systems, so
15 it's perfectly fine to redistribute them to everyone else. They're
16 files, after all. Just output.
17
18 It wouldn't have been different if you had a program to compose and play
19 music, with a free player and a trial composer. You did compose your
20 "For Eliza" during the trial, and now you can play it freely.
21
22 Don't feel in guilt for proprietary software houses. They sure know
23 their business -if you can do what you've done respecting their
24 licenses, fine, it was their choice.
25
26 If you still feel in guilt, give the money you'd spend on Workstation to
27 the free QEMU project. This way perhaps no one will need a proprietary
28 VMWare Workstation. :D
29
30 m.
31 --