From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wireless worked, rebuilt kernel, wireless no longer works
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 23:23:54
1 On 7/8/06, Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.edu> wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 11:09:39AM -0700, Penguin Lover Mark Knecht squawked:
3 > > Hi,
4 > > Why would wireless no longer work after rebuilding the kernel to
5 > > add USB OHCI support only?
6 > >
7 > Since you rebuilt the kernel, you'd probably need to recompile
8 > ndiswrapper against the new kernel. I saw that you mentioned that you
9 > did just that. Perhaps first remove ndis from module.autoload, and see
10 > if you can modprobe it by hand? It could be that even though you
11 > recompiled ndiswrapper, it was compiled against the wrong kernel
12 > version or something, so the module cannot load?
13 >
14 > This is the only thing that comes to mind right now.
15 >
16 > The new kernel that you compiled, is it the same version? Or a
17 > different one? If it is different, perhaps you can try (if you saved
18 > it) booting into the old one and see if you can modprobe ndiswrapper
19 > (The old one should still be in /lib/modules under the correct kernel
20 > version).
21 >
22 > Best,
23 >
24 > W
25
26 Willie,
27 Thanks. I did at least recompile ndiswrapper before I wrote this
28 post. That alone did not fix it. The kernel was the same kernel -
29 Gentoo stable - so 2.6.16-gentoo-r9 I think.
30
31 I noticed that the machine was sort of sluggish with that kernel so
32 I built a new real-time one - 2.6.17-rt5 from the pro-audio overlay.
33 For that kernel I needed to build ndiswrapper for the first time,
34 which I did, and low and behold when I booted into that kernel
35 wireless did come up running right away so I think you're on the right
36 track but for somereason it didn't work for me on the earlier kernel.
37 I cannot explain why right now.
38
39 I do have some problems that I'm going to have to work out. I am
40 getting messages about 'device initiated installation' - or something
41 like that - early in the boot process. Later the kernel posts a
42 message telling me either net.eth0 or net.wlan0 cannot start until the
43 boot process completes. I checked rc-update show and I see that I'm
44 startign these in default, not boot, so I think what I'm doing is
45 correct but possibly coldplug or hotplug is doing something wrong the
46 way I'm configured.
47
48 Anyway - right now I have wireless connectivity, which is great,
49 but some problems persist that need to be addressed tomorrow.
50
51 Thanks much,
52 Mark
53 --