From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel panics and more info
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 19:19:50
1 Dale asks:
2
3 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 >> On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 06:41:31 -0500, Dale wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> I have not been able to get the nv drivers to work. It has been so
7 >>> long since I had to use them, it appears I have forgot how to use
8 >>> them. I'm not sure I have ever used them since I been using Gentoo. I
9 >>> found the link on the xorg site. It wasn't very useful for me. I do
10 >>> have xf86-video-nv installed tho. I thought that was it. However,
11 >>> when I change the driver in xorg.conf to nv, no more GUI.
12 >>>
13 >> Instead of editing xorg.conf, move it out of the way and let X figure
14 >> things out for itself.
15 >>
16 >> You could also try the VESA drivers, slow but reliable.
17
18 > OK. How do I do the VESA drivers?
19
20 Add 'vesa' to your VIDEO_CARDS variable in make.conf, then emerge
21 -DautvN xorg-drivers. And change the Driver in xorg.conf from 'nvidia'
22 to 'vesa'.
23
24 Wonko