From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel panics and more info
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 15:48:11
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 06:41:31 -0500, Dale wrote:
5 >> I have not been able to get the nv drivers to work. It has been so
6 >> long since I had to use them, it appears I have forgot how to use
7 >> them. I'm not sure I have ever used them since I been using Gentoo. I
8 >> found the link on the xorg site. It wasn't very useful for me. I do
9 >> have xf86-video-nv installed tho. I thought that was it. However,
10 >> when I change the driver in xorg.conf to nv, no more GUI.
11 >>
12 > Instead of editing xorg.conf, move it out of the way and let X figure
13 > things out for itself.
14 >
15 > You could also try the VESA drivers, slow but reliable.
21 OK. How do I do the VESA drivers? Honestly, the only trouble I can
22 recall out of nvidia was upgrading the kernel then rebooting and
23 realizing I forgot to rebuild against the new kernel. I don't recall
24 every having anything like this. The biggest GUI problem I can recall
25 was hal and xorg. Let's not go down that road. < dale starts to steam
26 > Is VESA a kernel option or some package I need to install?
27
28 I really want to figure this out but not just for me. Surely I'm not
29 the only one this has happened to.
30
31 Dale
32