From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Index to /usr/share/doc/...html... a reinvented wheel?
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2007 15:41:05
1 On 7/6/07, Paul Gibbons <paul@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 15:19:14 -0700
4 > "Kevin O'Gorman" <kogorman@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >
6 > > I emerge with the doc USE flag and generally have a bunch of stuff in
7 > > /usr/share/doc. Most of the time it's the HTML stuff I want to read,
8 > > but it's a annoyingly laborious to wade through unindexed
9 > > directgories and get a browser pointing to the right thing. So I
10 > > wrote a little Perl script to create a top-level "index.html",
11 > > organized by package and with a bit of rudimentary pruning. I
12 > > bookmarked it in Firefox, and can get to things a lot faster now. I
13 > > like the result, and will continue to tweak it here and there.
14 > >
15 > > Did I just reinvent a wheel? If not, is there any point it trying to
16 > > make this part of gentoo? If so, how would one do that?
17 > >
18 > > Current script attached.
19 > >
20 > Thanks for the script - it seems to create the index file fine.
21 > However the index.html files are only readable by root.
22 > Is there a treat when running emerge to ensure files are readable by
23 > others?
26 That's an artifact of your umask. I run root with a umask of 022, so I
27 didn't notice the problem.
28
29 You can add the line
30 umask(0133);
31 to the script (before the open call) to get a sensible 0644 (rw-r--r--)
32 mode.
33
34 As I've also modified the sorting of entries on each line, in an attempt to
35 make each index.html come first in its directory, I've attached my latest
36 copy to this email.
39 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

makeindex.perl application/octet-stream