From: "Timothy A. Holmes" <tholmes@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Eth0 not responding (sleeping??)
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 19:33:30
1 Hi folks:
2
3 I have a gateway E4100 series computer acting as my snort box. It is
4 running 2006.1 and has the intel Pro1000 nic. The box was built from a
5 stage 4 install which I have 2 other identical machines running on.
6
7 The problem is that the network adapter seems to "fall asleep"
8 periodically. If I attempt to access the base webpage or ssh, I get no
9 response till I ping the box -- 8 pings later, it wakes up and acts
10 normally. For a while, then it starts over.
11
12 Checking /var/log/messages indicates no problems, it shows the crons
13 happily running, the snort startup etc. but nothing else. Can anyone
14 shed some light on the problem and a possible solution.
15
16 TIM
19 Timothy A. Holmes
20 IT Manager / Network Admin / Web Master / Computer Teacher
21
22 Medina Christian Academy
23 A Higher Standard...
24