From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] chromium build failure
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2018 21:38:57
1 On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 1:29 PM, allan gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
2 [snip]
3 > I have two questions, one trivial, one hopefully easy.
4 >
5 > 1. (trivial) In your recipe did you mean "rsync", not "sync"?
6
7 I sync ("emerge --sync") only one machine, and then I rsync from there to
8 my other computers. After the rsync is done, you need to do "emerge
9 --metadata" in the recipient machine (--sync does that for you
10 automatically).
11
12 > 2. I have a number of quickpkgs built. Is it needed that
13 > they all be updated and some removed or can I just do
14 > the following command
15 >
16 > rsync -Pvase ssh machine1:/var/portage/packages/www-client \
17 > /var/portage/packages
18 >
19 > Notes: I use /var not /usr for portage
20 > machine2 has no dir /var/portage/packages/www-client
21
22 I honestly don't know. There is a /usr/portage/packages/Packages with a lot
23 of meta information, and I'm not 100% sure whether is absolutely required.
24 Then again, creating binary packages is so fast that I usually delete
25 /usr/portage/packages after updating my non-compiling machines. I know of
26 people who maintain a large repository of binary packages (they can be
27 built automatically with FEATURES="buildpkg" in make.conf), but I just
28 create them when needed.
29
30 Regards.
31 --