From: Erik <esigra@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: (II) NV(0): Setting screen physical size to 508 x 317
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 06:25:19
1 2010-07-16 08:13, Dale skrev:
2 > Erik wrote:
3 >> 2010-07-16 01:51, walt skrev:
4 >>
5 >>> On 07/15/2010 02:15 AM, Erik wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>>
8 >>>> ...This is the
9 >>>> new Dell vostro|1720 from November, that replaced the old
10 >>>> INSPIRON|8600
11 >>>> aquired 5 years earlier...
12 >>>>
13 >>> I feel as if I'm reading a post that I selected at random from the
14 >>> middle of a long thread with lots of previous questions and answers
15 >>> that I can't see.
16 >>>
17 >>> I've never heard of either of those products. Maybe someone else
18 >>> knows what
19 >>> they are?
20 >>>
21 >>
22 >> Do not worry about not knowing about the products that I mentioned in
23 >> the parenthesis in the last paragraph (they are just some laptops with
24 >> differend graphic cards built in). You may know enough to help if you
25 >> are familiar with Xorg, in particular the driver called NV (as the first
26 >> 2 lines of my post shows). Do you for example know from where the driver
27 >> gets the bogus physical display size 508 x 317 from, and why it insists
28 >> on using it instead of the configured size?
31 > Are you using hal? If so, you may need to get or change the config
32 > files so that it will run at the settings you want instead of what it
33 > "detects".
34 >
35 > By the way, I have no idea how to edit them. It's in xml. You may
36 > can google and borrow their config file tho.
37 >
38 > If you are not using hal, it should be set in xorg.conf. I don't use
39 > hal and that is where mine is set.
40
41 Yes I am using hal. Maybe that is the problem. But it is clear from the
42 log file that xorg.conf is read anyway.