From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] KDE desktop vanishing
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2014 10:31:55
1 Hello list,
2
3 Does anyone know why, sometimes, when I log in to KDE via KDM, all my
4 applications have disappeared? Sometimes they're visible in the task bar but
5 clicking on one doesn't bring it up, and sometimes the task bar is blank.
6 Sometimes logging out and in again used to fix it, nowadays mostly not.
7
8 The only thing that's unaffected by all this is gkrellm, which is set to behave
9 as a dock or panel.
10
11 It's as though a new Activity had been created without action by me, but no
12 amount of fiddling with the New Activity button gets me any closer to an
13 understanding. Personally, I'd be happy to have the whole concept of
14 activities stripped out. I don't suppose there's any way for me to do anything
15 like that as a user or sysadmin?
16
17 This happened to me again yesterday, and I ended up creating a new user from
18 scratch and importing e-mails, copying the .mozilla and .opera directories and
19 so on - only to find that that's been hidden today as well.
22 Rgds
23 Peter