From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: The war continues.
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2016 18:50:30
1 wabenbau@×××××.com wrote:
2 > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> wabenbau@×××××.com wrote:
5 >>> Alan Grimes <ALONZOTG@×××××××.net> wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>>> Philip Webb wrote:
8 >>>>
9 >>>>> So that needs rephrasing : "Why is AG using KDE 5 ? " (smile).
10 >>>>> Everything works for me using Fluxbox + some KDE 4 apps.
11 >>>> The last good version of KDE was 3.5.x... then the flood came...
12 >>>> (Qt 4) and all the developer started having Ideas about things
13 >>>> that could go into the new version....
14 >>> Also IMHO KDE 3.5 was the best (K)DE. :-)
15 >>>
16 >>> But I can't envisage that KDE will ever reach that quality again.
17 >>>
18 >>> --
19 >>> Regards
20 >>> wabe
21 >>>
22 >>>
23 >>
24 >> You two just said a mouth full and I agree. That last part of KDE3
25 >> was some good stuff. To this day, I still can't get my desktop slide
26 >> show to *not* be random. I filed a bug way back when KDE3 forced
27 >> folks to move to KDE4. I can see how making it random may require
28 >> some work but disabling it shouldn't take to much work. Just beat
29 >> the random thing until it dies. lol
30 >>
31 >> That's just one thing tho. KDE3 was much faster in my opinion.
32 > What I miss most of all is the fantastic konqueror. It was way better
33 > than any other filemanager that I know. Of course I've tested the KDE4
34 > konqueror and also dolphin but it was horrible compared to the old
35 > konqueror. Now I'm using thunar. It's far away from being perfect, but
36 > it seems to be the lesser of the evils. ;-)
37 >
38 > --
39 > Regards
40 > wabe
45 I still use Konqueror but I disabled some USE flags early on since I
46 didn't want some of the bloat. I think I had to enable some since they
47 were no longer a option but sort of forced. Anyway, this is the USE
48 flags for mine but since it is a short list, USE flags for other
49 packages may affect it more.
50
51 [ebuild R ] kde-apps/konqueror-15.08.3:4/15.08::gentoo
52 USE="bookmarks handbook svg (-aqua) -debug" 0 KiB
53
54 The hard part, getting it to run as root. KDE doesn't like things
55 running as root so it took a hammer and some elbow grease. I use it to
56 edit config files and it has to run as root to do that. I generally
57 have it open only when I am doing a update tho. Obviously, I never do
58 internet stuff with it either. < wags finger >
59
60 Dale
61