From: hw <hw@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] local shared directory
Date: Sat, 14 May 2016 16:23:23
1 Neil Bothwick schrieb:
2 > On Sat, 23 Apr 2016 14:42:56 +0200, hw wrote:
3 >
4 >>> I've done this with ACLs in the past, which is why I suggested it, but
5 >>> it's a pain to set up if you haven't used them before. Alan's
6 >>> suggestion of using inotify is probably simplest. Install incrond and
7 >>> put something like this in a file in /etc/incron.d
8 >>>
9 >>> /shared/dir IN_CREATE,IN_MODIFY chmod g+w $#
10 >
11 > That should actually be $@/$#
12
13 Thanks, that's what I used.
14
15 >> PS: How about subdirectories? The users sharing the directory can
16 >> create and delete them as well, and files within them; yet incron
17 >> ignores what happens in subdirectories.
18 >
19 > That's a prpblem, maybe ACLs would be more suitable after all.
20 >
21 >> Using 'chmod -R g+w $#' isn't very appealing, and how safely does it
22 >> handle file names?
23 >
24 > What is unappealing about it? I've never had any problem with file names,
25 > but I don't use odd ones. You could quote the $@/$# just in case,
26 > although if there's no shell expansion taking place it shouldn't be
27 > necessary.
28
29 Using 'chmod -R' is unappealing because changing access rights for
30 so-many-thousand or so directory-entries once per minute might
31 wear out the SSDs sooner than otherwise. It might make things
32 worse that the file system is that of a KVM VM residing in a sparse
33 file on these SSDs.
34
35 And it may lead to confusion of the users when they suddenly can
36 write to files they couldn't write to a few seconds before.