From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet? -> what was wron with SysVInit?
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 23:53:17
1 On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 6:01 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 [snip]
4
5 > I didn't started the thread, Wolfe did. I just answered his question
6 > from my point of view.
7 >
8 > And, what community is being divided? Fedora,OpenSuse, and Arch use
9 > systemd by default. Gentoo derivative Exherbo recommends it as init
10 > system. It works great on Gentoo and Debian. I understand it even
11 > works in Ubuntu. systemd has done more to unify the Linux ecosystem
12 > than a lot of other projects in the last 20 years.
13 >
14 > And, really, I don't care about OpenBSD. I worked with it for three
15 > years; it's a nice toy Unix.
16
17 You do realize you just lost any moral high ground you might have had
18 over saying things that might or might not offend others? Seriously?
19 "toy"?
20
21 I'm not an OpenBSD user. But I do know it's one of the longest-lived,
22 most prominent UNIX-like systems in the ecosystem, and it's the home
23 for a huge amount of code that's imported by virtually every other
24 notable operating system.
25
26 To call it a "toy" tells me you know next to nothing about the history
27 (or even present) positions and involvement of the major players of
28 the UNIX-like ecosystem over the last twenty years.
29
30 > But for serious work (server, desktop and
31 > mobile) I prefer Linux, and in my case (except for my phone, that uses
32 > Android) I run Gentoo+systemd in all my machines. You don't have to
33 > agree with that, is my personal preference.
34
35 Canek, I have to ask. Have you ever done _anything_ outside of
36 academia? Up to Masters, academia is learning about what is.
37 Afterward, it's either about teaching or discovering what may be...but
38 a Masters only teaches you theory. A Doctorate is a discovery of a
39 truth under controlled conditions. The real world is nowhere near that
40 clean.
41
42 Quite frankly, I've found your emails to have to have a far more pomp,
43 ipsie dixit arguments, playbook arguments and appeals to authority
44 than hard, technical defense of arguments against your positions in
45 debate. Generally, I try to ignore you, and when I respond, it's
46 usually because your emails carry with them a tone of authority that
47 could easily mislead the uninformed into assuming he'd just read the
48 One True Way on some subject--something that's terrible when there are
49 real differences and not always clear-cut answers.
50
51 I try very, very hard to avoid both the use and appearance of use of
52 ad hominem arguments and reasoning. I do my damnedest to give the
53 benefit of the doubt. However, quite frankly, I've read almost
54 everything you've posted to this list over the last year and a half,
55 and you've never consistently exhibited an awareness of pragmatic
56 concerns for the subject, an understanding of the low levels issues in
57 theoretical concerns of the subject, or an ability to stick to
58 technical argument in a non-evasive fashion; that you might be wrong
59 on a technical point never occurs to you, and when pressed, you engage
60 in sophistry. Quite frankly, you act and speak more like a PR
61 spokesman than an engineer.
62
63 It's this behavior that probably led Bruce to make a crack about your
64 defense of systemd to an irrational degree. You advocate, but you
65 don't respond to criticisms with substance, suggesting your advocacy
66 isn't something based on rational motivation.
67
68 My purpose in debate isn't to win, it's to understand. I would be
69 positively delighted if you would approach debate the with the same
70 goal; we might be able to learn from each other.
73 :wq