From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet? -> what was wron with SysVInit?
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 00:58:52
1 On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 5:51 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 6:01 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > [snip]
5 >
6 >> I didn't started the thread, Wolfe did. I just answered his question
7 >> from my point of view.
8 >>
9 >> And, what community is being divided? Fedora,OpenSuse, and Arch use
10 >> systemd by default. Gentoo derivative Exherbo recommends it as init
11 >> system. It works great on Gentoo and Debian. I understand it even
12 >> works in Ubuntu. systemd has done more to unify the Linux ecosystem
13 >> than a lot of other projects in the last 20 years.
14 >>
15 >> And, really, I don't care about OpenBSD. I worked with it for three
16 >> years; it's a nice toy Unix.
17 >
18 > You do realize you just lost any moral high ground you might have had
19 > over saying things that might or might not offend others? Seriously?
20 > "toy"?
21
22 Hey, it's my opinion. You don't need to agree with me and, again, I
23 don't pretend to offend anyone. It's jsut what I think. Have you read
24 the name calling against GNOME and udev/systemd projects, developers
25 and/or users? How come you never say anything about those?
26
27 > I'm not an OpenBSD user. But I do know it's one of the longest-lived,
28 > most prominent UNIX-like systems in the ecosystem, and it's the home
29 > for a huge amount of code that's imported by virtually every other
30 > notable operating system.
31
32 Longest-lived mean nothing. Literally. Minix is older than all the
33 modern *BSDs and Linux, and its author called it (until recently) a
34 toy Unix.
35
36 > To call it a "toy" tells me you know next to nothing about the history
37 > (or even present) positions and involvement of the major players of
38 > the UNIX-like ecosystem over the last twenty years.
39
40 I know my Unix history, thank you very much. Do you? You read LWN, don't you?
41
42 http://lwn.net/Articles/524606/
43
44 I call OpenBSD a toy Unix in the sense of the above article's quote:
45
46 "There will be fewer and fewer settings where BSD-based systems will
47 operate in the way their users want.
48
49 That, needless to say, is a recipe for irrelevance and, eventually,
50 disappearance."
51
52 >> But for serious work (server, desktop and
53 >> mobile) I prefer Linux, and in my case (except for my phone, that uses
54 >> Android) I run Gentoo+systemd in all my machines. You don't have to
55 >> agree with that, is my personal preference.
56 >
57 > Canek, I have to ask. Have you ever done _anything_ outside of
58 > academia? Up to Masters, academia is learning about what is.
59 > Afterward, it's either about teaching or discovering what may be...but
60 > a Masters only teaches you theory. A Doctorate is a discovery of a
61 > truth under controlled conditions. The real world is nowhere near that
62 > clean.
63
64 Again, thank you for teaching me about the real world. I worked for
65 various years between my Bachelor's and Master's degrees, programming
66 and administering Linux, SCO, BSD and Aix systems. I still administer
67 several machines in my university. I think I know the real world,
68 thanks.
69
70 > Quite frankly, I've found your emails to have to have a far more pomp,
71 > ipsie dixit arguments, playbook arguments and appeals to authority
72 > than hard, technical defense of arguments against your positions in
73 > debate. Generally, I try to ignore you, and when I respond, it's
74 > usually because your emails carry with them a tone of authority that
75 > could easily mislead the uninformed into assuming he'd just read the
76 > One True Way on some subject--something that's terrible when there are
77 > real differences and not always clear-cut answers.
78
79 Relax Michael; as I said in other emails: who the fuck cares what I
80 say or who I am? Wolfe made a question, I tried to answer it to the
81 best of my knowledge. That's it: nobody has to agree with me, nobody
82 has to do anything about what I write. Not even read it.
83
84 By the way, did you read whay Kevin told me?
85
86 """
87 > * Finally, and what I think is the most fundamental difference between
88 > systemd and almost any other init system: The service unit files in
89 > systemd are *declarative*; you tell the daemon *what* to do, not *how*
90 > to do it. If the service files are shell scripts (like in
91 > OpenRC/SysV), everything can spiral out of control really easily. And
92 > it usually does (again, look at sshd; and that one is actully nicely
93 > written, there are all kind of monsters out there abusing the power
94 > that shell gives you).
97 Then you don't have a great deal of experience in init systems.
98 """
99
100 I understand that in the Gentoo mailing lists (which doens't
101 necessarily reflect the Gentoo community as a whole), us udev/systemd
102 users and supporters look like a (very maligned) minority. I
103 understand a lot of people here doesn't like the direction
104 udev/systemd is taking Linux. But it's really kinda funny how people
105 react when we calmly try to express why do we like said direction.
106
107 > I try very, very hard to avoid both the use and appearance of use of
108 > ad hominem arguments and reasoning. I do my damnedest to give the
109 > benefit of the doubt. However, quite frankly, I've read almost
110 > everything you've posted to this list over the last year and a half,
111 > and you've never consistently exhibited an awareness of pragmatic
112 > concerns for the subject, an understanding of the low levels issues in
113 > theoretical concerns of the subject, or an ability to stick to
114 > technical argument in a non-evasive fashion; that you might be wrong
115 > on a technical point never occurs to you, and when pressed, you engage
116 > in sophistry. Quite frankly, you act and speak more like a PR
117 > spokesman than an engineer.
118
119 I'm not an engineer. I'm a computer scientist for what is worth.
120
121 > It's this behavior that probably led Bruce to make a crack about your
122 > defense of systemd to an irrational degree. You advocate, but you
123 > don't respond to criticisms with substance, suggesting your advocacy
124 > isn't something based on rational motivation.
125
126 In yout point of view, sure.
127
128 > My purpose in debate isn't to win, it's to understand. I would be
129 > positively delighted if you would approach debate the with the same
130 > goal; we might be able to learn from each other.
131
132 I have learned from you Michael; you usually have something
133 intelligent to say, and you usually do with calm and an open mind. I'm
134 sorry if you don't think the same of me, but as I said in the other
135 threads, I try to stick to the technical arguments.
136
137 Of course sometimes I'm wrong. I just don't understand what it has to
138 do with anything in this thread in particular: Wolfe asked what
139 advantages had OpenRC and systemd over SysV, and I said the ones *I*
140 believe are the most important ones. Nothing else.
141
142 Then Kevin started to suggest that I know nothing about init systems,
143 and I responded in kind. Perhaps I shouldn't have, that I give you,
144 but if that's the tone that starts to populate the thread, I felt that
145 it was the right thing to do. Again, perhaps I'm wrong.
146
147 I don't pretend to "win" anything, by the way. As I have said many
148 times, the future of Linux is in the hands of the people writing the
149 code, not the people screaming at each other about what is right or
150 wrong. I doesn't matter the discussion here if no one involved writes
151 a single line of code. I just saw Wolfe's question, and I tried (I
152 hope I succeeded) to respond it.
153
154 Probably I should have dono like you do and ignore Kevin's response.
155 Perhaps I will do that next time.
156
157 Regards.
158 --