From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoos community communication rant
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 10:09:56
1 On Tuesday 07 September 2010 11:56:12 Al wrote:
2 > It would be as simple as this:
3 >
4 > 1.) enter "news.gentoo.org" as news server to thunderbird
5 > 2.) select the groups you want to read
6 >
7 > 2 steps not more. That is far more simple than subscribing to a mailing
8 > list.
9 >
10 > Al
11
12 Except that then I need to do these 2 steps all the time and for every mailing
13 list that I use.
14
15 Usenet's strength was that all news-groups were accessible through all news-
16 servers.
17 By using different news-servers for different projects, this advantage is gone.
18
19 Using mailing lists and IMAP, I can access the list from anywhere with an
20 internet connection using webmail, IMAP-clients,...
21
22 This way, I only need to subscribe to mailing lists once and only need to
23 remember one set of account-details.
24 With different news-groups, this list becomes too much to remember and
25 maintain.
26
27 And I am not aware of any news-reader that can handle multiple different news-
28 servers easily without a news-proxy like leafnode sitting in between.
31 Joost