From: Al <oss.elmar@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoos community communication rant
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 10:52:02
1 2010/9/7 J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>:
2
3 > Except that then I need to do these 2 steps all the time and for every mailing
4 > list that I use.
7 Only once for the news groups of gentoo. Only one click to subscribe
8 to a second group.
9
10 > Usenet's strength was that all news-groups were accessible through all news-
11 > servers.
12
13 Usenet was the sozial network of the past. It has been replaced by
14 something better in that function.
15
16 > By using different news-servers for different projects, this advantage is gone.
17
18 Usenet is gone. The advantage of a projects newsserver is something
19 very different. Easy to subcribe to and a full knowledge database of
20 all discussions without switching to a browser. The problem is that
21 people didn't learn how to do that at all.
22
23 > This way, I only need to subscribe to mailing lists once and only need to
24 > remember one set of account-details.
25
26 But you have to set up filters for that account.
27
28 > With different news-groups, this list becomes too much to remember and
29 > maintain.
30
31 news.*.org is possible to remember even for me -- and I am really bad in this.
34 > And I am not aware of any news-reader that can handle multiple different news-
35 > servers easily without a news-proxy like leafnode sitting in between.
36
37 Thunderbird. There is no limit to severs you can subscribe to.
38
39 Al