From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fed up with Xorg + hal mess
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 18:10:59
1 Kevin O'Gorman schrieb:
2 > On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 10:22 AM, Florian Philipp
3 > <lists@f_philipp.fastmail.net <mailto:lists@f_philipp.fastmail.net>> wrote:
4 >
5 > alain.didierjean@××××.fr <mailto:alain.didierjean@××××.fr> schrieb:
6 > > Definitly, an update shouldn't break an existing working
7 > configuration! This
8 > > happens these days only too often with the Xorg + hal mess.
9 > > I happen to use linux as a working tool and 3 days without being
10 > able to launch
11 > > a working X is a source of problems! This is the second time. As
12 > for hal config,
13 > > the author should remember that ol'saying:KISS for Keep It Simple,
14 > Stupid.
15 > > Now, with or without /etc/X11/xorg.conf, my machine (amd64),
16 > updated to
17 > > libxcb-1.4, xorg-1.6 and hal last version launches X all right,
18 > only mouse and
19 > > keyboard are not working !
20 > > A line in /var/log/Xorg.0.log says:
21 > > (WW) AllowEmptyInput is on, devices using drivers 'kbd', 'mouse'
22 > or 'vmmouse'
23 > > will be disabled.
24 > > Where is that b..... AllowEmptyOption ? certainly not in xorg.conf.
25 > > How do I get back some input on X screen ?
26 > > I also get (with xorg.conf)
27 > > (EE) Failed to load module "type1" (module doesn't exist, 0)
28 > > (EE) Failed to load module "evdev" (module doesn't exist, 0)
29 > > Please help before I turn crazy (it might be too late)
32 > With 'launches X' do you mean your desktop environment (login -> startx)
33 > or xdm/kdm/gdm?
34 >
35 > In any case, try to add
36 >
37 > Option "AllowEmptyInput" "false"
38 >
39 > to your xorg.conf Section "ServerLayout"
40 >
41 > However, for me this has tripled any key press and also messed up some
42 > other things.
43 >
44 > You (and anyone else, actually) might also want to add
45 >
46 > Option "XkbOptions" "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
47 >
48 > to the Section "InputDevice" of your keyboard. This will reenable
49 > Ctrl+Alt+Backspace for killing X.
52 > This is interesting, and I'd like to try it, but my xorg.conf does not
53 > have an "InputDevice" section, or anything specific about keyboards or mice.
54 >
55 > How should I add this safely?
58 Most likely your setup does not rely on an xorg.conf. In that case you
59 should avoid adding anything to it. Look at this guide for various ways
60 to re-enable that feature:
61 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/x/x11/xorg-server-1.6-upgrade-guide.xml
62
63 BTW: There is a news item (eselect news) about this but depending on
64 your system config and when you have synced your portage tree the last
65 time, that item might not have been announced to you.