From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fed up with Xorg + hal mess
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 17:39:13
1 On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 10:22 AM, Florian Philipp <
2 lists@f_philipp.fastmail.net> wrote:
3
4 > alain.didierjean@××××.fr schrieb:
5 > > Definitly, an update shouldn't break an existing working configuration!
6 > This
7 > > happens these days only too often with the Xorg + hal mess.
8 > > I happen to use linux as a working tool and 3 days without being able to
9 > launch
10 > > a working X is a source of problems! This is the second time. As for hal
11 > config,
12 > > the author should remember that ol'saying:KISS for Keep It Simple,
13 > Stupid.
14 > > Now, with or without /etc/X11/xorg.conf, my machine (amd64), updated to
15 > > libxcb-1.4, xorg-1.6 and hal last version launches X all right, only
16 > mouse and
17 > > keyboard are not working !
18 > > A line in /var/log/Xorg.0.log says:
19 > > (WW) AllowEmptyInput is on, devices using drivers 'kbd', 'mouse' or
20 > 'vmmouse'
21 > > will be disabled.
22 > > Where is that b..... AllowEmptyOption ? certainly not in xorg.conf.
23 > > How do I get back some input on X screen ?
24 > > I also get (with xorg.conf)
25 > > (EE) Failed to load module "type1" (module doesn't exist, 0)
26 > > (EE) Failed to load module "evdev" (module doesn't exist, 0)
27 > > Please help before I turn crazy (it might be too late)
30 > With 'launches X' do you mean your desktop environment (login -> startx)
31 > or xdm/kdm/gdm?
32 >
33 > In any case, try to add
34 >
35 > Option "AllowEmptyInput" "false"
36 >
37 > to your xorg.conf Section "ServerLayout"
38 >
39 > However, for me this has tripled any key press and also messed up some
40 > other things.
41 >
42 > You (and anyone else, actually) might also want to add
43 >
44 > Option "XkbOptions" "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
45 >
46 > to the Section "InputDevice" of your keyboard. This will reenable
47 > Ctrl+Alt+Backspace for killing X.
50 This is interesting, and I'd like to try it, but my xorg.conf does not have
51 an "InputDevice" section, or anything specific about keyboards or mice.
52
53 How should I add this safely?
54
55 ++ kevin
58 > For me, X started to work again after removing ~/.Xauthority.
64 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD