From: Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Running gentoo ~amd64 as a virtualbox guest
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2015 23:45:47
1 On 04/08/2015 07:35 PM, walt wrote:
2 > I have a persistent problem (described below) with my ~amd64 guest
3 > machine and I can't figure it out.
4 >
5 > I run all the major linux distros as virtualbox guests so I can keep
6 > track of what's happening on planet non-gentoo, but only the ~amd64
7 > gentoo guest machine is having this problem:
8
9 Depending on what you are keeping track of, I would recommend using
10 docker. It is far lighter-weight than a virtual machine in every respect
11 - disk space, cpu utilization, etc. However, if you need to see
12 graphical stuff (which it appears you do), then docker will not work.
13
14 > When I start an X session in the gentoo guest machine, the 3D video
15 > acceleration is emulated with the "Software Rasterizer" function of
16 > mesa, as shown below:
17 >
18 > # glxinfo | grep renderer
19 > OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer
20 >
21 > The problem is that "Software Rasterizer" is so slow and inefficient
22 > that the gnome3 shell specifically tests for it and refuses to start
23 > if it's found.
24
25 Have you tried setting VIDEO_CARD="virtualbox" in make.conf and/or
26 installing app-emulation/virtualbox-modules in your guest?
27
28 > Other guest linux distros report the "Chromium" rasterizer or maybe
29 > the "llvmpipe" rasterizer, both of which are fast enough to satisfy
30 > the gnome3 shell.
31 >
32 > So, could the problem be caused by the vbox package on my gentoo host
33 > machines? I don't know, but I can propose a test:
34
35 If the other distros can detect a fast virtualized renderer, I doubt the
36 host has a problem. That said, I have little virtualbox experience other
37 than just playing around.
38
39 Hope this helps,
40