From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] using git to track (gentoo) server configs ?
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 16:02:01
1 I happily use git for local repositories to track configs in /etc or for
2 example, /root/bin or /usr/local/bin (scripts ..)
3
4 There is also etckeeper, yes, useful as well.
5
6 But I would like to have some kind of meta-repo for all the
7 gentoo-servers I am responsible for ... some remote repo to pull from.
8
9 Most files in /etc might be rather identical so it would make sense to
10 only track the individual changes (saves space and bandwidth)
11
12 Maybe it would be possible to use git-branches for each server?
13 Does anyone of you already use something like that?
14 What would be a proper and clever way to do that?
15
16 Yes, I know, there is puppet and stuff ... but as far as I see this is
17 overkill for my needs.
18
19 I'd like to maintain some good and basic /etc, maybe plus
20 /var/lib/portage/world and /root/.alias (etc etc ..) to be able to
21 deploy a good and nice standardized gentoo server. Then adjust config at
22 the customer (network, fstab, ...) and commit this to a central repo (on
23 my main server at my office or so).
24
25 Yes, rsyncing that stuff also works in a way ... but ... versioning is
26 better.
27
28 How do you guys manage this?
29
30 Looking forward to your good ideas ;-)
31
32 Regards, Stefan