From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: extract an image from a .doc file?
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 20:23:31
1 On 14 Dec 2009, at 16:25, Dale wrote:
2 > ...
3 > I'm somewhat clueless about this software issue but wonder about
4 > this way of seeing things. Since it appears there is a signature,
5 > as in what is at the bottom of a letter or a bank check, wouldn't
6 > they want to make it so that is not able to be extracted at all? If
7 > I had a digital signature, I wouldn't want to put it somewhere that
8 > it could be used by someone that I wouldn't want it to be used by.
9
10 My customer, an agency which rents out apartments on behalf of
11 landlords, has a server on which they store all their files. These
12 letters are generated by their property management software, and are
13 written to their landlords, tenants &c. Obviously they have to keep a
14 big archive of copies of all the letters they've written in the past.
15
16 The letters are stored in .doc format, but when they're originated I
17 think they're actually just printed out and posted. Storing the
18 signature in the .doc is, I think, just a convenience to save the boss
19 (or other members of staff) having to physically scribble a signature
20 at the bottom of each letter.
21
22 I'm guessing the office might manage c 100 properties, and I imagine
23 that they may generate some thousands of letters per year. So a 1meg
24 image in a letter might well start to consume gigs of disk space.
25 "Gigs of disk space" is only a little bit of a problem because when
26 this server was manufactured, 4 years ago, decent RAID meant
27 horrendously expensive SCSI disks (it is still under support contract
28 for another year) and because I haven't got around to migrating them
29 away from an offsite-backup provider who is somewhat overpriced.
30
31 Hope this clarifies,
32
33 Stroller.
37 PS: a couple of great suggestions have been made this afternoon. I'm
38 going to watch some of the fruits my labours - my labours involving
39 get_iplayer earlier today - and will try these suggestions later. Many
40 thanks!