From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't create valid btrfs on NVMe
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2016 09:07:13
1 On Thursday 18 Aug 2016 15:56:50 Adam Carter wrote:
2 > On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 8:26 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 > > I'm putting together a new desktop using a Samsung SM951 NVMe drive. I
4 > > booted sysrescd, partitioned the drive and ran
5 > >
6 > > mkfs.btrfs /dev/nvme0n1p3
7 > > mount /dev/nvme0n1p3 /mnt/custom
8 > >
9 > > df -T, mount and findmnt all show this is mounted as a btrfs filesystem,
10 > > e.g.
11 > >
12 > > /dev/nvme0n1p3 on /mnt/custom type btrfs (rw,relatime,ssd,space_cache)
13 > >
14 > > I can create files in here but cannot do anything btrfs-y
15 > >
16 > > % btrfs filesystem show /mnt/custom
17 > > ERROR: not a valid btrfs filesystem: /mnt/custom
18 > >
19 > > % btrfs subvolume create /mnt/custom/test
20 > > Create subvolume '/mnt/custom/test'
21 > > ERROR: cannot create subvolume: Inappropriate ioctl for device
22 > >
23 > > Google has been no help at all.
24 >
25 > I'm assuming tools are expecting SATA (or SCSI) and need an update or
26 > alternative for nvm;
27 >
28 > # hdparm -i /dev/nvme0n1
29 >
30 > /dev/nvme0n1:
31 > HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(identify) failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
32 > HDIO_GET_IDENTITY failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
33 >
34 > Maybe SCSI emulation could work around it?
35 > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_NVME_SCSI
36
37 I don't have Neil's e-mail here - another KMail problem?
38
39 Neil, have you tried inspecting your drive with sys-apps/nvme-cli? I don't
40 have any experience to relate as I haven't worked out how to use it yet, but
41 it may help you.
44 Rgds
45 Peter