From: Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't create valid btrfs on NVMe
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2016 05:57:03
1 On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 8:26 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > I'm putting together a new desktop using a Samsung SM951 NVMe drive. I
4 > booted sysrescd, partitioned the drive and ran
5 >
6 > mkfs.btrfs /dev/nvme0n1p3
7 > mount /dev/nvme0n1p3 /mnt/custom
8 >
9 > df -T, mount and findmnt all show this is mounted as a btrfs filesystem,
10 > e.g.
11 >
12 > /dev/nvme0n1p3 on /mnt/custom type btrfs (rw,relatime,ssd,space_cache)
13 >
14 > I can create files in here but cannot do anything btrfs-y
15 >
16 > % btrfs filesystem show /mnt/custom
17 > ERROR: not a valid btrfs filesystem: /mnt/custom
18 >
19 > % btrfs subvolume create /mnt/custom/test
20 > Create subvolume '/mnt/custom/test'
21 > ERROR: cannot create subvolume: Inappropriate ioctl for device
22 >
23 > Google has been no help at all.
26 I'm assuming tools are expecting SATA (or SCSI) and need an update or
27 alternative for nvm;
28
29 # hdparm -i /dev/nvme0n1
30
31 /dev/nvme0n1:
32 HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(identify) failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
33 HDIO_GET_IDENTITY failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
34
35 Maybe SCSI emulation could work around it?
36 CONFIG_BLK_DEV_NVME_SCSI