From: Shaochun Wang <scwang@××××××.cn>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Issues with Gentoo & WinXP dualboot setup
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 02:52:27
1 On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 04:01:10PM +1100, Dmitry Mashkovskiy wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I've successfully set up Gentoo on the machine with ABIT IS7 motherboard
5 > and two SATA disks (integrated controller on ICH5 chipset, I guess). The
6 > first one is Seagate (Ch2 M. (master?) in BIOS) with WinXP, the second
7 > is Maxtor (Ch3 M. in BIOS) with Gentoo and GRUB in MBR. One problem is
8 > that I cannot boot in Windows while booting with GRUB. Here is my grub.conf:
9 > -------------
10 > default 0
11 > timeout 10
12 >
13 > title=Windows XP
14 > rootnoverify (hd1,0)
15 > makeactive
16 > chainloader +1
17 >
18 > title=Gentoo Linux 2.6.12-r6
19 > root (hd0,0)
20 > kernel /kernel-2.6.12-gentoo-r6 root=/dev/sdb3 irqpoll
21 > -------------
22 > I get only
23 >
24 > Booting 'Windows XP'
25 > rootnoverify (hd1,0)
26 > makeactive
27 > chainloader +1
28 >
29 > and then machine hangs. So I have to set Seagate drive as a boot device
30 > in BIOS in order to boot Windows. How can I work it out? Should I
31 > install GRUB in the MBR of Windows disk?
32 > Another problem is that sometimes machine freezes or falls in kernel
33 > panic while booting Gentoo (usually on probing ATA devices). I suppose
34 > it may be due to buggy/broken hardware but it would be nice to find some
35 > solution or workaround.
38 > Thanks in advance,
39 > D.
40 > --
41 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
42
43 I hope the following works for you:
44
45 default 0
46 timeout 10
47
48 title=Windows XP
49 rootnoverify (hd0,0)
50 chainloader +1
51
52 title=Gentoo Linux 2.6.12-r6
53 root (hd1,0)
54 kernel /kernel-2.6.12-gentoo-r6 root=/dev/sdb3 irqpoll
57 Shaochun Wang(ÍõÉÜ´º) <scwang@××××××.cn>
60 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list