From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is 'MAKEOPTS="--jobs --load-average=5"' silly?
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 03:02:05
1 On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 10:25:58PM +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote
2
3 > Running MAKEOPTS="-j1" as default on a multi-core processor seems an
4 > awful waste of resources, unless it is needed for something else, in
5 > which case I don't run emerge at all.
6
7 Running around for a few hours trying to replicate an unreplicatable
8 build failure is even more of a waste. After the first couple of builds
9 that ran into problems, and were cured by -j1, I made it the default on
10 my mcahines.
13 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
14 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications