From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: 'Best' Desktop Environment
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 19:20:36
1 On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
2 <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > Am Sonntag, 17. Juni 2012, 11:52:48 schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
4 >> On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 4:42 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
5 >> > So, while we're meta-discussing Linus' rant on Gnome3, here's an article
6 >> > from TechRadar exploring the usability of the leading Linux desktop
7 >> > environments.
8 >> >
9 >> > http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/whats-the-best-li
10 >> > nux-desktop-environment-1045280
11 >> >
12 >> > Summary: Try the latest KDE. You might get pleasantly surprised.
13 >>
14 >> In my humble opinion, you should use whatever you actually like. You
15 >> don't like GNOME? Then don't use it; and if you used it before and
16 >> don't like the new version, either get involver to get it "fixed" (for
17 >> whatever defintion of "fixed" you want), fork it (although maybe you
18 >> should first try Unity, MATE, or Cinnamon before), or go to another
19 >> desktop.
20 >>
21 >> I like GNOME 3, therefore I use it. I like systemd, therefore I use
22 >> it. I like Emacs, therefore I use it. If someone else wants to use
23 >> KDE, OpenRC, and Vim, it's none of my business. To each his own.
24 >
25 > one question - how can you call something that doesn't even let you change the
26 > fonts call a 'desktop environment'?
27
28 Really? I try to write a conciliatory post about how we should respect
29 each others preferences and that's the first thing you respond?
30
31 To all of us who actually believe that everyone has the right to like
32 whatever they choose, please don't feed the trolls. The intent of my
33 post was exactly to prevent flame wars.
34
35 Regards.
36 --
37 Canek Peláez Valdés