From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Reading, editing and then burning a new ISO image using Gentoo
Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 16:40:37
1 On Thu, 2008-05-08 at 09:28 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > This is somewhat off topic. Ignore if it's of no interest.
4 >
5 > I've got a DOS program called SpinRite that does low-level testing
6 > of hard drives. I have the program in two forms:
7 >
8 > 1) A bootable CD that just runs the program
9 > 2) A stand alone DOS executable that can be run from a CD.
10 >
11 > Both of the above run fine under FreeDOS. Problem is I don't know
12 > how to load device drivers for USB unless I can edit a config.sys
13 > file, create a new ISO and then burn a new CD. So...
14 >
15 > 1) Is there a way for me to read the bootable ISO image into a
16 > directory on my machine
17 > 2) Edit the files
18 > 3) Make a new ISO image from the directory (mkisofs?)
19 >
20 > This seems 'relatively' straight forward. I haven't built it yet
21 > but I found isomaster in portage. Is it a good tool? Should I just do
22 > this from the command line and if so how? How do the Gentoo packagers
23 > put together the install CD images?
24
25 Call me old-fashioned but I don't see anything wrong with just copying
26 the root of the CD to an empty directory, editing the files and then
27 using mkisofs to re-create a new ISO.
28
29 -a
33 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list