From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] external SSD problem
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 20:39:46
1 On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 2:23 PM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I just got one of these:
3 >
4 > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208913
5 >
6 > It seems to work fine except that once I eject it in Thunar, I get
7 > this in dmesg:
8 >
9 > sd 8:0:0:0: [sdb] Synchronizing SCSI cache
10 > sd 8:0:0:0: Device offlined - not ready after error recovery
11 >
12 > The only way to get the /dev/sdb device back is to 'modprobe -r
13 > xhci_hcd && modprobe xhci_hcd'. I've tried two different USB3 cables.
14 > I have an external USB3 hard drive that works fine but /dev/sdb
15 > doesn't appear after ejecting the SSD unless I modprobe xhci_hcd.
16 > Should I file a kernel bug?
17
18 You can maybe also post it to the linux-usb mailing list
19 (linux-usb@×××××××××××.org), I think there is at least one person
20 there who works exclusively on XHCI stuff in the kernel.
21
22 You might also want to check if there are any firmware updates for the
23 USB3 chipset on your motherboard. lspci should reveal the chipset. My
24 old motherboard had a flaky USB3 chipset (Renesas/NEC) that could only
25 be updated from Windows, so I never bothered with updating it, but
26 there are some that are updatable from within linux or from a DOS boot
27 disk.