From: Nick Smith <nick.smith79@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] raid/partition question
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 16:04:58
1 just wanted to ask before i mess something up.
2 i have booted off the install cd, created a raidtab with my mirrored
3 drives on it. i have created the raid. now, do i go in and setup the
4 partitions i want on that raid? or should i have done that before
5 creating the raid? so instead of having one big mirror and then
6 partitioning that, do i need to create my seperate partitions and then
7 mark them as "fd" and then create each raid seperate?
8
9 i think im confusing myself here. can you partition a raid device aka
10 /dev/md0? when i look at it in fdisk it shows the partitions of both
11 drives (they are the same). if i partition md0 and try to write the
12 table i get :
13
14 WARNING: Re-reading the partition table failed with
15 error 22: Invalid argument.
16 The kernel still uses the old table.
17 The new table will be used at the next reboot.
18 Syncing disks.
19
20 did i just set myself up for failure? or is it going to work? im doing
21 this install remotely so i really cant reboot to see if its going to
22 work, but i dont want to continue with the install if im just wasting
23 my time. thats why im asking here to be sure. this is on sparc
24 hardware, but i dont think that will make a difference.
25
26 TIA
27
28 Nick