From: Bryan Whitehead <driver@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why are gentoo people so in love with colorized output?!?
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 19:19:34
3 ;)
4
5 felix@×××××××.com wrote:
6
7 >On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 07:36:49AM +0200, Bo ?rsted Andresen wrote:
11 >>Weren't you talking about portage? In that case you should obviously file it
12 >>against portage.. But yeah, any app that has a --nocolor equivalent that
13 >>doesn't work deserves a bug report.. Even for apps that don't it's reasonable
14 >>to file it as an enhancement request.
18 >Oh for pete's sake, don't be so literal. Esearch has screwed up.
19 >Emerge has screwed up. Revdep-rebuild has screwed up. Stop reading
20 >the leaves on the trees and paya ttention to the forest. Your quibbly
21 >attitude is exactly the petulant behavior which makes me not want to
22 >waste my time filing bug reports on somebody's pet eye candy.
26 >>First of all I believe most people (including myself) very much prefer colors
27 >>over no colors (no I cannot qualify with any numbers..). That does not,
28 >>however, mean that the pipe detection and --color switch etc. shouldn't be
29 >>honoured. It should (and it does here). Secondly, how did you come up with
30 >>the idea that a bug report would be dismissed if you never filed one?
34 >The UNIX standard for ages has been simple text output. Why must
35 >gentoo add trendy colors which change every time some eye candy
36 >fanatic gets a bug up his butt to change colors when he gets bored
37 >with the old fashioned colors? the default ought to be colors OFF and
38 >you have to ask to get them.
39 >
40 >I choose fonts small enough to get maximum density with minimum eye
41 >strain. The only way I could read these colors would be to increase
42 >the font size and decrease the density. If gentoo developers think
43 >that a wise trade off when almost no other utility uses colors so much
44 >and so horribly, then gentoo is broken by design and no amount of bug
45 >reportage will change a damned thing. Harmony is a nice design
46 >feature. You ought to try it sometime.
47 >
48 >As long as I am ranting, I may as well throw in a few rants on the
49 >amateur kids who run gentoo; those who think the world should be
50 >thankful for their color choices are the same idiots who linked ls
51 >against a /usr/lib library and made my system ubootable, who removed
52 >libraries which LVM linked against during boot and made my system
53 >unbootable. Gentoo has good points, starting with portage, but it
54 >also has innumerable insufferable knowitalls who make me gnash my
55 >teeth at their inconsiderate unthinking fad-of-the-week behavior.
60 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list