From: felix@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why are gentoo people so in love with colorized output?!?
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 07:42:44
1 On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 07:36:49AM +0200, Bo ?rsted Andresen wrote:
2
3 > Weren't you talking about portage? In that case you should obviously file it
4 > against portage.. But yeah, any app that has a --nocolor equivalent that
5 > doesn't work deserves a bug report.. Even for apps that don't it's reasonable
6 > to file it as an enhancement request.
7
8 Oh for pete's sake, don't be so literal. Esearch has screwed up.
9 Emerge has screwed up. Revdep-rebuild has screwed up. Stop reading
10 the leaves on the trees and paya ttention to the forest. Your quibbly
11 attitude is exactly the petulant behavior which makes me not want to
12 waste my time filing bug reports on somebody's pet eye candy.
13
14 > First of all I believe most people (including myself) very much prefer colors
15 > over no colors (no I cannot qualify with any numbers..). That does not,
16 > however, mean that the pipe detection and --color switch etc. shouldn't be
17 > honoured. It should (and it does here). Secondly, how did you come up with
18 > the idea that a bug report would be dismissed if you never filed one?
19
20 The UNIX standard for ages has been simple text output. Why must
21 gentoo add trendy colors which change every time some eye candy
22 fanatic gets a bug up his butt to change colors when he gets bored
23 with the old fashioned colors? the default ought to be colors OFF and
24 you have to ask to get them.
25
26 I choose fonts small enough to get maximum density with minimum eye
27 strain. The only way I could read these colors would be to increase
28 the font size and decrease the density. If gentoo developers think
29 that a wise trade off when almost no other utility uses colors so much
30 and so horribly, then gentoo is broken by design and no amount of bug
31 reportage will change a damned thing. Harmony is a nice design
32 feature. You ought to try it sometime.
33
34 As long as I am ranting, I may as well throw in a few rants on the
35 amateur kids who run gentoo; those who think the world should be
36 thankful for their color choices are the same idiots who linked ls
37 against a /usr/lib library and made my system ubootable, who removed
38 libraries which LVM linked against during boot and made my system
39 unbootable. Gentoo has good points, starting with portage, but it
40 also has innumerable insufferable knowitalls who make me gnash my
41 teeth at their inconsiderate unthinking fad-of-the-week behavior.
45 Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@×××××××.com
46 GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E 6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933
47 I've found a solution to Fermat's Last Theorem but I see I've run out of room o
48 --
49 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list