From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why are gentoo people so in love with colorized output?!?
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 05:42:09
1 On Wednesday 04 April 2007 07:13:06 felix@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > > > I have to copy and paste into an editor just to read the error messages.
3 > >
4 > > Easier to just pipe the output into less.
5 >
6 > Doesn't always work. Whatever generates the color ignores TERM and
7 > --nocolor and color=n, and doesn't always pay attention to where the
8 > output is going either.
9
10 Well, as stated; that's a bug. Report it.
11
12 > > > It has always been so; most portage commands simply aassume I want all
13 > > > sorts of colorized messages on my screen.
14 > >
15 > > And it never occurred to you to just file a bug at bugs.gentoo.org? How
16 > > are devs supposed to fix your bug if you don't report it? (that's
17 > > rhetorical).
18 >
19 > Certainly has, but the colorization decision has moved around enough
20 > that I figure it was a moving target. What would I file it against,
21 > every python utility that screws it up?
22 [SNIP]
23
24 Weren't you talking about portage? In that case you should obviously file it
25 against portage.. But yeah, any app that has a --nocolor equivalent that
26 doesn't work deserves a bug report.. Even for apps that don't it's reasonable
27 to file it as an enhancement request.
28
29 > Besides, the colorization is so blatantly awful as to obviously be
30 > someone's pet little eye candy contribution; any bug report is very
31 > likely to be dismissed as just some geriatric fossile who fondly
32 > remembers teletypes.
33
34 First of all I believe most people (including myself) very much prefer colors
35 over no colors (no I cannot qualify with any numbers..). That does not,
36 however, mean that the pipe detection and --color switch etc. shouldn't be
37 honoured. It should (and it does here). Secondly, how did you come up with
38 the idea that a bug report would be dismissed if you never filed one?
39
40 [SNIP]
41 > But based on past performance, it will no doubt shift around to some other
42 > package in a few weeks, so I will wait and see.
43
44 'Past performance'? 'Some other package' (are you still speaking of the
45 package manager)?
48 Bo Andresen