From: felix@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why are gentoo people so in love with colorized output?!?
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 05:18:30
1 On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 06:29:45AM +0200, Bo ?rsted Andresen wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 04 April 2007 06:17:39 felix@×××××××.com wrote:
3 > > Why do --nocolor and --color=n not work (sys-apps/portage-2.1.2.3)?
4 > [SNIP]
5 > > I am so tired of this crap. Even editing /usr/bin/emerge to always
6 > > set output.havecolor to 0 doesn't disable color. I have to copy and
7 > > paste into an editor just to read the error messages.
8 >
9 > Easier to just pipe the output into less.
10
11 Doesn't always work. Whatever generates the color ignores TERM and
12 --nocolor and color=n, and doesn't always pay attention to where the
13 output is going either.
16 > > It has always been so; most portage commands simply aassume I want all sorts
17 > > of colorized messages on my screen.
18 >
19 > And it never occurred to you to just file a bug at bugs.gentoo.org? How are
20 > devs supposed to fix your bug if you don't report it? (that's rhetorical).
21
22 Certainly has, but the colorization decision has moved around enough
23 that I figure it was a moving target. What would I file it against,
24 every python utility that screws it up? I figured it was easier to
25 just edit color out of the damned programs after each update.
26 Sometimes I don't need to, sometimes I do.
27
28 Besides, the colorization is so blatantly awful as to obviously be
29 someone's pet little eye candy contribution; any bug report is very
30 likely to be dismissed as just some geriatric fossile who fondly
31 remembers teletypes.
32
33 This current outburst was a result of my dismay at finding the
34 colorization institutionalized in the output package, which a quick
35 grep didn't find, and editing havecolor = 0 all over didn't fix it
36 either. Maybe, if it is now centralized, a bug report might actually
37 do some good. But based on past performance, it will no doubt shift
38 around to some other package in a few weeks, so I will wait and see.
42 Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@×××××××.com
43 GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E 6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933
44 I've found a solution to Fermat's Last Theorem but I see I've run out of room o
45 --
46 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list