From: Joe Nyland <lists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ssh hanging ... why?
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 17:47:23
1 On 18 Sep 2013, at 10:55, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
2
3 > Am 18.09.2013 11:53, schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:
4 >
5 >> Rebuilt openssh already.
6 >>
7 >> Maybe I should downgrade for testing ...
8 >>
9 >> The problematic box: net-misc/openssh-6.2_p2-r4
10 >> The working box: net-misc/openssh-5.9_p1-r4
11 >
12 > Yep. Downgrading works for me.
16 Not sure why a downgraded openssh would improve things for you if this is the issue, however I faced the same issue as yourself and it was caused by mDNS trying to do a reverse lookup on the host connecting in to the affected server, ultimately causing the SSH connection to hang.
17
18 Check that the order of sources on the hosts line of you /etc/nsswitch.conf[1] file on the server that you are having issues _connecting to_, not the desktop that you're connecting from.
19
20 Mine is:
21
22 `hosts: files dns mdns4_minimal mdns4`
23
24 Note `dns` is before `mdns4`.
25
26 [1] http://linux.die.net/man/5/nsswitch.conf