From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UEFI booting again - FIXED
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 18:09:22
1 On Monday, 19 October 2020 17:10:57 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Monday, 19 October 2020 14:08:05 -00 Michael wrote:
3 > > Are you saying calling 'efibootmgr -v' lists a different UEFI boot menu?
4 >
5 > No, I'm saying that I appear to be able to create a BIOS entry using
6 > efibootmgr, but when I reboot and enter BIOS setup, the entry often isn't
7 > there. Or if it is, either the kernel won't boot, or it does but the
8 > resulting system is incomplete.
9 >
10 > When I bought this system I failed entirely to install grub - I followed the
11 > instructions slavishly and received much help from those more knowledgeable
12 > on this list at the time, but never got the system to boot. Then, groping
13 > about trying to understand efibootmgr, bootctl and UEFI generally, I may
14 > have done some combination of things that prevented those tools from ever
15 > working again. For me. On this machine.
16 >
17 > So the summary is: I can preserve the ESP using Windows's system image
18 > creation and recovery tool, but not with those two Linux tools.
19 >
20 > I've wasted several months wrestling with this, and I've finished up with
21 > what I've described.
22
23 I see. What you describe is interesting, because the UEFI firmware GUI,
24 efibootmgr, and MSWindows are all meant to be accessing the *same* database of
25 editable entries on the firmware, using the UEFI API. I have not looked into
26 bootctl more than once to know what it does with any clarity.
27
28 However, I don't think anyone would argue against empirical repeatable
29 outcomes. :-)