From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: sync-type: rsync vs git
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 16:24:54
1 On 2022-04-27, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Apr 27, 2022 at 10:22 AM Grant Edwards
3 ><grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Is there any advantage (either to me or the Gentoo community) to
6 >> continue to use rsync and the rsync pool instead of switching the
7 >> rest of my machines to git?
8 >>
9 >> I've been very impressed with the reliability and speed of sync
10 >> operations using git they never take more than a few seconds.
11 >
12 > With git you might need to occasionally wipe your repository to
13 > delete history if you don't want it to accumulate (I don't think
14 > there is a way to do that automatically but if you can tell git to
15 > drop history let me know).
16
17 I don't think I have any history. I use sync-depth=1 and clone-depth=1.
18
19 Both git log and git whatchanged only show one commit.
22 > Of course that history can come in handy if you need to revert
23 > something/etc.
24
25 Perhaps I should keep a few levels of history...
26
27 > If you sync infrequently - say once a month or less frequently, then
28 > I'd expect rsync to be faster.
29
30 I generally sync several times a week, and git is often very much
31 faster than rsync. Git is always done in a few seconds. The time
32 required for rsync varies widely from a handfull of seconds to tens of
33 minutes.
34
35 > This is because git has to fetch every single set of changes since
36 > the last sync, while rsync just compares everything at a file level.
37 > [...]
38 > That can add up if it has been a long time.
39
40 AFAICT, the emerge repo git "depth" settings of 1 prevent that: the
41 intermediate versions are discarded on the server side as is previous
42 local history. The end result is similar to rsync: you fetch only the
43 current version of what's changed since the last "sync", and there's
44 no local history.
45
46 > Bottom line is that I think git just makes more sense these days for
47 > the typical gentoo user, who is far more likely to be interested in
48 > things like changelogs and commit histories than users of other
49 > distros. I'm not saying it is always the best choice for everybody,
50 > but you should consider it and improve your git-fu if you need to.
51 > Oh, and if you want the equivalent of an old changelog, just go into a
52 > directory and run "git whatchanged ."
53
54 Right now with a depth of 1, git log/whatchanged don't provide any
55 information (they think all files were new as of the last "sync").
56 What I should figure out is what settings will preserver a few levels
57 of changes that have been made to my local repo, without preserving
58 intermediate changes to the master repo that never got used locally.
59
60 IOW, I want all the changes made during a single "sync" to go into my
61 local repo as a single commit regardless of how many commits have been
62 made to the master repo since my previous "sync". I think git can do
63 that -- whether the emerge sync settings in /etc/portage/repos.conf/gentoo.conf
64 allow me to tell emerge to tell git to do that is the question.
67 Grant