From: Bertram Scharpf <lists@×××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Virtualbox documentation
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2016 12:36:48
1 On Thursday, 08. Dec 2016, 00:21:17 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 08/12/2016 00:01, Bertram Scharpf wrote:
3 > > arrgh! I just want to find a quick-start tutorial for
4 > > Virtualbox on Gentoo, but Google shows up loads of tutorials
5 > > for Gentoo in a Virtualbox.
6 >
7 > I have vbox on Gentoo here (many others do too) and it was
8 > a very smooth start - basically emerge virtualbox, the
9 > fancy oracle additions and modules, and I was off like a
10 > rocket. [...] The oracle docs are very good and quite
11 > complete
12 >
13 > Do you have specific questions that you want a tutorial to
14 > answer?
15
16 The official documentation <https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch01.html#idm267>
17 says:
18
19 On a Linux or Solaris host, depending on your desktop
20 environment, a "VirtualBox" item may have been placed in
21 either the "System" or "System Tools" group of your
22 "Applications" menu. Alternatively, you can type
23 "VirtualBox" in a terminal.
24
25 There is no command "VirtualBox" but only some commands
26 named VBox* like "VBoxManage" that are symlinks to
27 /usr/lib64/virtualbox/VBox. The command "VBoxManage" prints
28 out >10 pages of documentation:
29
30 # VBoxManage | wc -l
31 590
32
33 No window shows up as promised.
34
35 There is no man page.
36
37 Is there a _short_ documentation for which command to give
38 with wich parameters?
39
40 Bertram
44 Bertram Scharpf