From: Petar Dimitrijevic <petar.dimitrijevic@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Minimal Gentoo installation
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 23:08:00
1 forgottenwizard wrote:
2 > On 23:04 Thu 27 Sep , Petar Dimitrijevic wrote:
3 >
4 >> forgottenwizard wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On 19:42 Thu 27 Sep , Petar Dimitrijevic wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>
9 >>>> Hi ppl,
10 >>>>
11 >>>> My basic idea is to have chroot-ed environment which will be the full
12 >>>> system and then to install separate system with only minimal stuff
13 >>>> (without gcc, portage, ...). When I need to update the minimal system I
14 >>>> will first update the chrooted one and the emerge the updates onto the
15 >>>> new one.
16 >>>>
17 >>>>
18 >>> What it sounds like you want is an LFS system. Look at the -B option for
19 >>> emerge. That may have some of what you are looking for.
20 >>>
21 >>>
22 >>>
23 >> Hm I browsed through emerge man page but I'm unable to find the -B option.
24 >> Is this maybe --build option ?
27 > Yeah. Just something to build the binaries should work.
30 >>>> I wanted to ask if somebody has done something like this, is something
31 >>>> like this possible and are there any wiki's or howto's on this topic.
32 >>>> I've tried searching through the handbook and google-ing but had no luck.
33 >>>>
34 >>>>
35 >>> I thought about doing this once before, but what is going to make the
36 >>> diffrence is how minimal you want the system. Are we talking a kernel +
37 >>> [ba|z]sh + coreutils or are we talking a tiny Apache server?
38 >>>
39 >>>
40 >> Well I want to have couple of variations:
41 >> 1. Apache, php, python,
42 >> 2. Xorg, python, wxwindows
43 >>
44 >> So I guess they wouldn't be too small. My expectations are that the fs size
45 >> would be <= 256 MB to 400 MB. My target is VIA C3 Nemiah board with 128MB
46 >> RAM and 512MB CF Card.
49 > Nice. Apache I know you could fit into that without a problem, and X
50 > should be able to handle that little
53 >>> If you want the absolute minimal, then I would look some into LFS since
54 >>> Gentoo wants to install so much by default (gcc, bash, coreutils, wget,
55 >>> ect).
56 >>>
57 >>>
58 >>>
59 >> I thought about checking out LFS but Gentoo seemed simpler to try. Also
60 >> because of portage the system is easier to upgrade. But if I can't get what
61 >> I need I guess I'll try LFS.
64 > Look up ALFS (Automated Linuc From Scratch). It's a basic system, but if
65 > you want something fairly minimal, I'd suggest looking at Portage and
66 > the ebuilds you like and see if you couldn't script yourself a small
67 > package manager just using wget and maybe doing the compiling by hand
68 > (or just running ./configure && make && make install, if you don't want
69 > to do anything to minimize the installed packages).
72 Hm very nice idea. Some kind of Gentoo/LFS hybtid :). I guess I'll give
73 it a shot.
74
75 Thank you so much.
76 --